New Blog Software

Just finished moving the web site to a new host, and switching (yet again!) to new blog software in the process. I wanted to get rid of CGIs on the new host, so I switched to a static blog-site generator named Pelican. more…

moved blog to git

I just finished moving this weblog to be managed in a Git repository, using the scheme described in http://joemaller.com/2008/11/25/a-web-focused-git-workflow/ . Plus, I'm running the connection over Foolscap.. more on that in a moment if this update actually works..

more…

and a calendar too

Hey, that wasn't too bad. I also added some CSS to make everything a tiny bit less ugly.

Now all I need is auto-completion on the category elisp..

more…

adding subcategories

I think I've gotten my elisp code to handle pyblosxom categories now. pyblosxom was easy, but I have to add the glue to let you choose a category. Unfortunately creating new categories requires manual work (registering the CVS directory).

Next step: find a pyblosxom plugin to create that spiffy little …

more…

pyblosxom-noindex

After some amount of perseverance, I finally figured out how to make pyblosxom insert "noindex" meta tags in the top-level index page. This was the last barrier keeping me from linking this blog to the main site, since I didn't want Google indexing a page that's going to change every …

more…

emacs

I set up a few tools to post blog entries from emacs. All entries are kept in CVS, and the whole tree is rsync'ed over to the web server. The elisp which actually publishes the entry looks like this:

(defvar pyblosxom-entry-dir "~/stuff/Projects/WebLog/entries")

;; adapted from http://wiki.woozle …
more…

blog startup

I've been trying to get my project notes online for years now, and I finally realized that I need to start smaller. After a week of intermittent activity, I finally got PyBlosxom set up and behaving fairly well.

In the process, I discovered that the CGI specification doesn't actually require …

more…